Wednesday, November 17, 2010


I was living in a home on a hill overlooking a large body of water. The architectural style was 1970s retro modern... basically a large cube with massive tinted glass windows, lots of exposed steel structural elements and a huge cantilevered deck. It rested on a tall, angular concrete foundation. It's a style known as Brutalist architecture, which flourished from the 1950s to the mid 1970s, spawned from the modernist architectural movement. Most brutalist building are constructed from cast concrete, but this home was built from steel and heavy red cedar panels. I made a rough sketch of the exterior after I awoke.

I was sitting on a sofa looking at brightly colored picture postcards friends have sent over the years. I hummed the first line of a song called "The Patriot Game." My friend M.R. was in another part of the house, I think in an upstairs open loft. She hummed back the second line of the song. I answered with the third line, we both laughed and then finished humming the song in sweet two-part harmony.

-----

The Patriot Game is an Irish ballad about an incident during the Border Campaign launched by the Irish Republican Army during the 1950s to bring about the reunification of Northern Ireland with the Republic of Ireland. It was written by Dominic Behan, younger brother of playwright Brendan Behan, to the tune of an earlier folksong, The Merry Month Of May. I haven't thought of the song in years, but used to perform it with M.R..


Also from the 1970 album "Wales and Nightingales" by Judy Collins


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home