Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Merciful Chickens

Part of a much longer dream:

There had been some cataclysmic event which had ground civilization to a halt... like a nuclear attack or something. Big explosion in the middle of the night. The house was all blown apart but still basically standing. We were all OK. KF and HL were here along with some other friends. Nobody knew exactly what had happened.

The electricity started coming back on; you could see house lights glowing faintly yellow in the debris of a few homes around the neighborhood. People started turning on their TV sets to see if there were any news reports.

I went across the street to see if some neighbors knew anything. “It’s real typical,” my neighbor said. “The news reports are just fluffy bs saying that something has happened but not what. There’s some pretty reporter live from the scene with absolutely nothing useful to say — and then they broke away for a commercial.” I put on an ironic little old lady voice and said, “Oh well, that’s a relief, dear, I guess I’ll be getting back home to bed now.” Everyone had a good chuckle.

My TV was an odd contraption that looked sort of like an old graphic design light box. The only way to properly display an image on it was to lay a piece of black graphics film over the white plexiglas surface. The TV image could then be viewed through the film. The film had been blown off in the explosion. I found it, dug it out of some rubble and blew the dust off. It was OK but a little crumpled. I needed something fairly heavy, flat and black to lay over the film to hold the edges down. I looked around and spotted a black leather-bound Bible in the debris.

“Hand me that Bible,” I said to KF.

“Why!?” said he. He had an odd expression and I realized he was thinking, “Oh, great, the end of the world comes and you’re getting all Christian on us.”

No, no, no,” I said, “I just need something flat to lay on top of the film. To hold it down, you know?”

Relieved, KF handed me the Bible, put on a little old lady southern belle voice and said, “Lord God Almighty and the blessings of His heavenly host of Merciful Chickens be upon you.”

We all had a good chuckle and I started working on the TV.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home